Alright. I’m going to try this again. You’ll have to bear with me while I figure out this new style of eating. Since being diagnosed with CML I am trying to eat 98% whole food plant based. Josh and Kennedy aren’t. Needless to say it’s taking some adjusting. I have been having more food leftover than I used to and so that has become my lunch pretty often. I’m improvising more because sometimes I’m so dang tired and have some side effects from these meds that make it hard to cook dinner. So, here’s the plan for now:
Muesli with a little honey and almond milk; fresh fruit. Here’s how I’m mixing up the muesli this week:
- 1 1/2 cups pepitas
- 3 cups dry old fashioned oats
- 2-3 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cup dried fruit (a mix of dried blueberries and raisins)
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie (kinda like the one in the link only I added a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and I just used a little garlic powder and onion powder instead of taking the time to chop the fresh versions) with side salad and fresh fruit
- Burrito Bowl with fresh fruit
- Leftovers with fresh fruit
- Grilled portobello burgers (like these, only I improvised and just used smashed avocado instead of making guacamole and this marinade which is a little simpler); oven-baked “fries” and side salads
- Fajitas: Protein + caramelized onions and bell peppers + seasoning (honestly I don’t measure this… I just sprinkle a little of everything until it tastes right… measuring creates too many dishes!) I’m just using black beans, but Josh will probably have sliced steak. If I muster enough energy I really want to try this vegan queso sauce and I’ll make some spanish rice (just use 1/2 salsa and 1/2 water instead of water alone when cooking rice according to package instructions) along with a chopped side salad –Tex-Mex style — corn, chopped peppers, onion, whatever else you can think of. I usually use a mixture of lime juice, a little honey, red wine vinegar and olive oil for dressing on this type of salad.
- I’m going to try these cabbage rolls… wish me luck! I’ll probably do roasted or mashed potatoes on the side and maybe some roasted broccoli
- BBQ Bean “Carolina” Sandwich with a simple pasta salad (pasta shells, chopped kalamata olives, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, fresh chives from our garden and an Italian vinaigrette dressing) with cucumbers and onions (pretty much sliced cucumbers and onions soaked in a combination of white and red wine vinegars with a little seasoning salt and dried dill)
- Chili cheese fries with 1/2 oven “fried” potatoes and half carrot fries. I love Emeril’s chili recipe and I just made it with no meat and extra beans. The last time I made it I froze the leftovers, so I’ll just have to pull those out of the freezer. I’ll either sprinkle some nutritional yeast on mine or use the vegan queso sauce.
I’ll add some pictures as the week goes on 🙂